Pamplona is a crossroads, and a gateway to the rest of Europe. It is a most comfortable city with a welcoming urban environment, and almost four million square metres of parks and gardens that make it one of the bigger green cities in Europe.
This humanlike character doesn’t stop Pamplona from having a prestigious university and enjoying excellent medical services. In fact Pamplona is becoming renowned as a congress city, where many scientific, technical, commercial, cultural or medical congresses take place. It has three universities the Public University of Navarre, the University of Navarre and the Open University of Navarre.
Many things make Pamplona a privileged city. It has a wide range of cultural, leisure and free time activities; as well as its good transport connections. Also, its side streets whose buildings are full of historical and artistic interest, rich gastronomy and festivals add immeasurably to the quality of life; as does the environmentally friendly stance, wide range of services, beautiful scenery and the friendliness of its people.
Actions implemented in the field of building performance:
In 1999, the Energy Agency prepared an energy programme for Pamplona. The programme’s objectives were to carry out an exhaustive study into the state of energy in the city, use the information to measure and prioritise actions, publicise the results to raise the all important social awareness, define short and medium term goals and develop an implementation strategy.
Among the areas that the energy programme studied were public buildings. After the study, some projects have been carried out :
- Nine city council buildings offices, cultural centres, institutional buildings and schools receive energy audits.
- Placement in some windows of adhesive special sheets of solar control
- Installation of blinds in all the new buildings and improvements, whenever it`s possible
- Replacement of incandescent lamps for fluorescent compact lamps, and low consumption lamps.
- Changes in electricity contracts.
- Change and optimization of the boilers and air-conditioning systems.
- Progressive incorporation of solar energy.
- Courses addressed to the city council technicians, about energy saving and efficiency, new technologies and renewable energies.
- Workers awareness through informative campaigns, talks, leaflets, and informative books.
Number of buildings involved up to now:
Day nursery / Kindergarten
Social / Cultural building
M. ALEJANDRO ASTIBIA
ENVIRONMENT - ENERGY AGENCY
Final C/ Uztarroz s/n. Edificio Monasterio Viejo de San Pedro ES-31014 PAMPLONA