The main opportunities for saving energy with ventilation systems are eliminating unnecessary conditioning and reducing fan energy consumption.
Day to day activities
Field Inspection Check List
- Duct insulation
- Duct leaks
- Air grills
- Air filters – clean or change
Recommendations, advice and tips
- Clean the system regularly – ducts, air grills, air filters
- Insulate supply ducts. Wherever heating ducts are exposed to unheated areas, there is potential for heat loss.
- Lubricate all moving parts
- Upon exchange of fan, the new fan should be highly efficient, with variable speed control
- If possible, occupancy sensors installed for lighting control can also be used for ventilation control
- Upon installation of heat recovery equipment, the recovery unit should have an efficient coefficient above 0.8
- Electric motors should be highly efficient